Industry news

Lithium iron phosphate battery

Tue Jun 21 09:10:02 CST 2022

Lithium iron phosphate battery is a kind of lithium ion battery that uses lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) as the positive electrode material and carbon as the negative electrode material. The rated voltage of the single unit is 3.2V, and the charge cut-off voltage is 3.6V~3.65V.


Features of lithium iron phosphate battery
Higher energy density
According to reports, the energy density of the square aluminum-shell lithium iron phosphate batteries mass-produced in 2018 is about 160Wh/kg. In 2019, some excellent battery manufacturers can probably achieve the level of 175-180Wh/kg. Some powerful manufacturers use stacks. The film technology and capacity can be made larger, or 185Wh/kg can be achieved.
Good safety performance
The electrochemical performance of the cathode material of lithium iron phosphate battery is relatively stable, which determines that it has a stable charging and discharging platform. Therefore, the structure of the battery will not change during the charging and discharging process, and it will not burn and explode. It is still very safe under special conditions such as filling, squeezing, and acupuncture.
Long cycle life
The 1C cycle life of lithium iron phosphate batteries generally reaches 2000 times, even more than 3,500 times, and the energy storage market requires 4000-5000 times or more, guaranteeing a service life of 8-10 years, which is more than 1,000 cycles of ternary batteries Life span, and the cycle life of long-life lead-acid batteries is about 300 times.

Echelon utilization of lithium iron phosphate batteries
Generally speaking, retired lithium iron phosphate batteries for electric vehicles still have nearly 80% capacity remaining, and there are still 20% capacity remaining from the lower limit of 60% completely scrapped capacity. They can be used in occasions with lower power requirements than automobiles, such as low-speed electric vehicles, Communication base stations, etc., to realize the echelon utilization of used batteries. Lithium iron phosphate batteries retired from cars still have a high utility value. The echelon utilization process of power batteries is as follows: the enterprise recycles retired batteries-dismantles-tests and grades-sorts by capacity-reorganizes battery modules. At the level of battery preparation, the remaining energy density of used lithium iron phosphate batteries can reach 60~90 Wh/kg, and the recycling life can reach 400~1000 times. With the improvement of the battery preparation level, the recycling life may be further improved. Compared with lead-acid batteries with an energy of 45 Wh/kg and a cycle life of about 500 times, waste lithium iron phosphate batteries still have performance advantages. In addition, the cost of waste lithium iron phosphate batteries is relatively low, only 4000~10000 yuan/t, which is very economical.